Friday, November 11, 2011

#40 – Idle Thoughts

During my week something happens, I finish my book, I go to the movies and I decide to write my post about that, since what else could be liked by my one and only blog reader (me! :) ). Turns out this week I have not much to talk about. I started reading Madame Bovary (after a couple of decades of reading the first time). I also went to the movies with my husband which in itself is unusual. We saw the new Almodóvar flick, The Skin I Live In. And though interesting and worth the movie ticket price, I fell asleep. I almost started snoring, except Raúl woke me up.

By the way this is what living with a poet is like, if said poet loves you. Say you fall asleep watching TV next to him. You wake up a bit startled and embarrassed. You turn to him, he smiles sweetly at you and you ask, “Did I snore?” This is my husband’s response, “Love, you don’t snore, you sing in your sleep.”

I know the crisis is hard and most everyone I know is hurting from it. Most especially us. After a hot water pipe burst in our home a couple of weeks ago, we're stressed out by the damage and our deductible. So on top of the crisis, that. I imagine that all businesses are frantically looking into ways of moving their inventory, promoting sales and the such. But I’m having a bit of identity crisis now that Thanksgiving hasn’t even happened and we’re already starting to be bombarded by images of Santa, Christmas trees and music. To be honest with you, I’m a bit upset about it. In my mind Christmas season officially starts on Black Friday, when many of us plan to bring out our artificial tree. But thinking about Christmas now, before Turkey Day is bit too much for me, even if what businesses most need and want from me right now is my money even if I don’t have any to give them.

After my stroke I’ve been desperately looking for freelance translation opportunities, sending my freelancer resume left and right with very little luck. My freelance work has always been a source of blessings. But I refuse give up on that, no matter how nice it is to have my evenings and weekends to myself and my family. I am convinced soon a door will open where I will be allowed to earn the extra income I need to face this storm with a hopeful smile on my face, and, if slowly and not paralyzed by the current economic situation, get out of debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment